Times are changing fast all around the world. A lot of people keep saying: “ah those good old days”. The old days were much simpler and people were used to living with much less.
Just think about it for a second. Did they have cell phones or television or Internet? Did they care if they would buy a new car every two years? Did they have stacks of clothes hanging in closets unused?
People were happy with one good pair of shoes, one Sunday outfit and a roof over their heads. OK I get it, nobody wants to live in what we have come to label as poverty anymore.
BUT living with less can actually make you happier.
My husband and I decided to do just that, and you can’t imagine how much happier we are. As a result we spend MUCH less, we actually have extra money left at the end of each month.
I will explain how we do it. In my last blog I explained how to create a budget. Using this budget, we see and decide how we can save even more.
Here’s the list:
- We never have lights on except for the room in which we are sitting.
- We have only ONE television set. No need to pay high cable bills.
- We did a research and cut the home phone line completely. We are only using our cell phones. We save about $120.00 per month. And you can add your cell phone to your local police station for reverse 911 calls and emergencies.
- We switch computers off at night and unplug everything from the walls. We managed to pay an average electric bill of $25 per month.
- We never let the water run while brushing our teeth. It’s a waste
- We use small space heaters and not the central heating unit, because this way we are warm where we sit and spend much less energy.
- We eat out once every other month. The rest of the time, we socialize with our friends and share dinners at our homes. We are having so much fun.
- We have a set grocery list and never “cheat”. We buy what we actually eat and never have to throw good food away. For a household of two, we pay no more than $850 per month for groceries, cleaning supplies, and cosmetics.
- We have created a “wish” list of clothes, shoes and accessories, and we send it to our friends and family. We have decided that receiving what we need during Christmas and our birthdays, makes it easy on the people who want to buy gifts for us, and we almost spend zero on clothing anymore.
- We don’t buy magazines. We can read everything we need online.
You can play with this list idea and you will see how much simpler your life will get and how much money you can save with little effort. We are very happy and wish you all the same! Life is about living happy and within our means.